Thursday 2 January 2014

To Uni or not to Uni

All through my life I’ve thought I’d complete my A Levels, go to university, get a job and have a family. However, this thought is now becoming a reality as I’ve just finished my second term of my As levels and have started first of many weeks of revision.  At school were getting bombarded with talks of all kinds, what uni to go to and what courses to choose, I am starting to wonder if university is the right path for me. I know I want to go into some section of the film industry, and on every piece of work experience I’ve completed in this field I have been told that I don’t need to do a film related course at university and that it wouldn’t help me. My mum still thinks it would be beneficial to get a degree just incase I change my mind. For a while I went along with her and looked for uni degrees that I thought would be interesting, however, I have since realized if I didn’t want to do the degree I probably wouldn’t work for my exams and therefore come out with bad grades AND masses of debts! All of a sudden uni doesn’t sound so good.


Uni is such a common thing now-a-days you feel you have to go in order to get a job but what’s the point in going if it’s not going to help me? Having being brought up in a family of academics and been lucky enough to go to a good school which my parents have had to scrimp and save in order to send me to I know I would feel less intelligent and slightly guilty if I didn’t go to university. But just because you don’t go to uni it doesn’t mean you not clever, university just isn’t for some people, I personally don’t know if I like the idea of going straight from school to more homework, essays and exams. This then opens up even more questions like; do I take a gap year? I think I would love to do this, I would love to travel to America and Canada and see countries I have never been to; there’s just one slight problem… I would never be able to afford this.




I also think university would be an amazing opportunity where I would meet lots of people that I wouldn’t normally get to meet. I would also get to do things I wouldn’t otherwise get to do. I know I would have so much fun making student meals, living with my friends and being more independent.




After all this I still don’t know what to do… all I do know is that if I didn’t go some part of me would always regret it but if I did go I would be thinking how I could be working in film instead of learning something  I don’t really want to learn about.

Please follow me on twitter @elliekay96 and comment if you have anything to say :)
Ellie xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment