Thursday 2 January 2014

'Lennon and Maisy' YouTube Review

I first stumbled across Lennon and Maisy when they appeared on my YouTube suggestion list, thinking they looked cute I thought I’d give them ago. The song they were singing was their own take on ‘Call your girlfriend’ with their margarine pots what I then found out was that they were a bit of a YouTube sensation, especially for this song. Although my first impression of them was ‘cute’ Lennon’s voice was far from it; with her being the older of the two sisters, but still only 12 years old, she had a voice which made you believe she felt and believed everything she was singing. Maisy added another dimension to the song with her harmonies and backing vocals and the mix of young and slightly older seems to work like a charm.

Although ‘Call your girlfriend’ gave them their first taste of viral stardom, I think my person favourite cover of theirs is ‘I won’t give up’ by Jason Mraz, this song again demonstrates their amazing harmonies but also showcases Lennon’s guitar playing. However, it is not just Lennon who is gifted at the guitar, in Maisy’s solo cover of Missy Higgins’s ‘Secret’ she also shows of her guitar playing and surprises us all with her tuneful yet also mature voice. Their ‘Call your girlfriend’ cover has inspired other YouTubers to also try making music with cups or empty cartons and it has now become a bit of a craze.



Their new Christmas song ‘Christmas coming home’ is an upbeat joyous song that makes you want to sing along, it was written by Lennon and Maisy’s parents and Maisy herself said “I love to sing it because it makes you feel happy.”  They have millions of twitter followers, however perhaps the most exciting of these are One Direction and teen heart-throb Harry Styles even tweeted one of their YouTube videos.

When I was trying to find out more about the two Stella sisters I found out that their parents are also musically gifted, they finished in fourth place CMT’s Can you duet?I also found out that they grew up on a 170-acre farm without Phones or even TV and Internet, which is ironic since they now appear on both the internet and TV being watched by millions of 
viewers.


Not only are they showing the viral world what they can do, they have also booked the roles of Maddie and Daphne Conrad in the ABC hit show Nashville and wowed the world of TV with their great acting and their cover of ‘Telescope’ is one of the best music moments from the season.

Lennon and Maisy are definitely ones to watch and I know they’ll become stars.

Follow me on Twitter @elliekay96
Ellie Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment